Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Figure Drawing Fall 2008: Gestures

Figure Drawing is a must for almost any artist. It can also be quite fun because of the challenge. Drawing people is probably, if not the hardest subjects to draw and paint. And drawing from life is one of the best ways to learn. Of course you need to be in a good classroom with good teachers to learn from.

For the fall semester I took it with my former basic drawing teacher. His class is more predictable and consistent compared to Javier's. Which was a good thing, because now I can practice the things I have learned from my previous class.

We always did ten to twenty gestures ranging from 1 to 2 minutes each in order to warm up and get in the groove of things. Then we drew from longer poses anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour each. And somewhere in the middle we drew from slides and took notes in our sketchbooks to learn anatomy and construction. It was consistent and still fun.

I was trying really hard to get good at gestures. I was learning from different sources as well such as Villpu's video tapes (which an awesome teacher gave to me) and from Mike Mattesi's book "Force" which I highly recommend. (above) you can see all my attempts of trying to "get it" and find the rythm. Using economy of lines and such. So fun and frustrating sometimes. (below) is the one I liked the most out of the 4 on the page.


I kept at it...


I was starting to get some of it... haha...



Sometimes I even graded my own gestures when I got home... a bad thing or not... I was being pretty critical on myself at the time. But I did improve fast with all the practice.



No comments:

Post a Comment