Sunday, April 25, 2010

Drawing From The Masters (part 2)

We also had some projects where we got to choose which masters to study. Basically just choose the ones you really, really, really like so you can learn and be influenced by them. It's like being able to choose your own parents! Or your favorite bands/type of music, friends, etc. "TOUCHSTONES!!!"

The first master I chose was Andrew Loomis. He was an Illustrator and educator in the early 1930's to 60's. I found out about him through his book, Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, and I was just amazed of his beautiful work. My summer figure drawing teacher had an actual copy! His books are some of the best out there, but they are so rare. Good thing his stuff is flying around on the internet.

I did the assignment twice...yeah, crazy i know, but I just wanted to get good and to experiment. First was practice and on a cheaper version of Strathmore bristol paper (left). The second (right) was done on the 500 Series Strathmore hot press bristol paper (3 ply)... (catches breath). It made a big difference. I did a bit of penciling on both and used Red Higgins ink... The ink color is richer on the higher quality/ more expensive paper. Sexy.


Another Loomis, this time without pencil work first, but it didn't turn out as well. So I tried to sketch from a magazine photo (right) to see how much I know... and I didn't know much, but that's why I did it to get help from the teach! So much to learn about draftsmanship.

Another amazing artist with great line quality...Winsor McCay. This is from his comic strip: Little Nemo in SlumberLand. But my handling of pen and ink wasn't that good.

The last one I did for that semester was an illustration of this gnarly looking witch by W. Heath Robinison. Blue Higgins Ink...and orange micron for the flame ;p

Here are a couple I did from the semester after. First one from John R. Neil, which I didn't finish with the ink work because... his line work was so amazing and it would be useless trying to copy it line by line like a copy machine. I need way more practice to be able to do it.

And another Loomis. This was actually the first piece of his work I saw from him when I opened his book. It was love at first sight. I really like the composition and the graphic quality it had. The technique was fun too. I didn't use the exact same tools and paper as he listed in his book, but I used a black colored pencil and ink too. I did a little comp study (top right corner) before I started with the values. I tried to limit it to 4 since I was using 2 mediums. It was fun.

2 comments:

  1. ahhh these are so cool! I am jealous of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. muhaha. you caught me in the middle of editing... and some more uploading =D

    more stuff to make you "jealous" on the way haha

    ReplyDelete